August 27, 2021
Head Start Nurse
RESPONSIBLE TO: SITE SUPERVISOR
Sumner Head Start, 215 Bassett Street, Syracuse
GRADE: 6 /NON-EXEMPT
NO. OF PROGRAM WEEKS: 22 HOURS PER WEEK; 45 WEEKS PER YEAR
- LPN currently licensed in New York State.
- Two years of related experience, preferably in working with pre-school children
- Knowledge of child and family health, which includes prevention concepts, and an interest in learning skills such as hearing and vision testing.
- An ability to communicate with pre-school children, parents, staff and professionals
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in team environment.
- Computer data input skills
- A valid NYS driver license and ability to travel to various sites.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Work, in conjunction with the Health Coordinator and all other Head Start Staff, toward the goal of optimum health for children and to help link families into an ongoing health/mental health care source and encourage them to assume responsibility for their own care.
- Observe daily health status of the children, following up on problems noted with staff, parents and professionals. Utilize Health Coordinator and Assistant Health Coordinator for technical assistance.
- Perform required health screenings and maintain current physical and dental reports. After reviewing medical reports assist families in obtaining any identified medical care needed.
- Serve as an advocate for child health.
- Assist teachers in the preparation of children for various health procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining current health records for designated center(s).
- Teach positive health practices to staff, children and parents.
- Promote environmental health and safety in the center.
- Perform home visits and recruitment as needed.
- Perform other duties as they relate to the team-approach of the Head Start philosophy.
- Maintain confidentiality of all family and child records and all matters relating to families.
- Adhere to relevant health and safety policies and procedures.
- Report incidents or concerns of child abuse and neglect.