34 hours per week
• Must have High School Diploma or GED or at least 6 months related experience in food services.
• Must be able to lift and /or move 25 pounds on a regular basis.
• Must have ability to work around young children.
• Experience working in school or day care setting preferred.
• An ability to work around food.
• Must practice safety, sanitation and personal hygiene as it relates to food preparation.
1. Observe good personal hygiene habits.
2. Wear clean, washable clothing and sturdy, closed-toe shoes. Wear apron and hair covering, which will be provided by Head Start.
3. Follow established procedures for hand washing and food handling.
4. Take food and food storage temperature readings and record daily entries in temperature logs.
5. Calibrate food thermometers frequently and record weekly.
6. Track enrollment, consumption and inventory to assist in forecasting of production needs.
7. Food Serving and Storage:
A. Receive food from central kitchen to ensure that necessary items are on hand for all meals.
B. Receive food from central kitchen; check invoice for accuracy.
C. Store food promptly and at proper temperature.
D. Distribute food to classrooms.
E. Help serve meals and snacks in each classroom as scheduled.
F. Be aware of program menu: make sure that all menu items are served each day.
G. Follow special dietary needs, as indicated by Head Start nurses.
8. Clean-Up and Dishwashing:
A. Load and unload dishwasher.
B. Rinse empty food transport containers thoroughly.
C. Keep food preparation and serving areas clean. Follow established procedures for
sanitizing food contact surfaces.
D. Perform other cleaning duties as assigned (refrigerators, countertops, dishwasher, small appliances, etc.)
E. Monitor supplies of paper goods and cleaning supplies: notify Site Supervisor in advance when orders need to be placed.
9. Job Interest and Cooperation:
A. Work cooperatively with teachers, parents, supervisors and other Head Start staff members.
B. Assure non-federal share (in-kind) hours by assisting in activities which support nutrition education and other educational activities for children and families.
C. Attend training sessions and workshops, as required.
D. Share job concerns and questions with Site Supervisor.
E. Convey to central kitchen any feedback or suggestions from classroom staff.
F. Assist with classroom coverage, as needed.
G. Utilize self-reflection, constructive criticism, and training information to enhance performance of job duties.
10. Works with all site staff to support the agency’s greener alternatives mission; including reducing or eliminating the use of disposables and washing reusable dishes as needed.
11. Embrace all aspects of the Head Start/Early Head Start philosophy as it relates to your job duties.
12. Perform other duties as they relate to the team-approach of the Head Start philosophy.
13. Adhere to relevant health and safety policies and procedures.
14. Maintain confidentiality of all data and information.