Trains and supports volunteers who prepare and e-file tax returns for people with low to moderate-income so that they can receive the largest refund possible and access all eligible tax credits.
1701 South Ave, Syracuse, NY 13207
(Syracuse Community Health Center South building)
Parking lot in the back, enter the building on South Avenue.
Centro bus line #226 – bus stops in front of the building: 3992, 3999, 4004.
Mid-January until May 17th
Tuesdays & Saturdays: 9am – 5pm
Wednesdays & Thursdays: 10am – 5pm
For your safety and ours, our site is a virtual drop-off and pick-up site only. You MUST have an appointment to drop off taxes.
If you meet ALL the following qualifications, you can get your taxes prepared for FREE!
- Your total 2020 household income is $57,000 or less and
- Investment income is less than $3,500 and
- A resident of Onondaga County and
- You had income in 2020 from wages, self-employment, pension, or government benefits and
- You do not own rental property and
- You did not declare bankruptcy in 2020 and
- You did not receive military pay and
- If you are self-employed, you did not have employees or inventory, you do not deduct your home as an expense, and you did not have a business loss. (FYI…You cannot deduct actual expenses, such as your business vehicle maintenance (i.e., oil changes, brakes, and tires). These expenses are built-in with the IRS standard mileage rate of 58 cents per business mile.)
Call 315.634.3756 during the tax season.
You will need to bring the following documents with you:
- Driver’s License, New York State ID, or Picture ID for you (and your spouse if filing jointly)
- Social Security Cards & Birth dates of everyone listed on your tax return
- Wage & earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Form SSA-1099 for Social Security
- Interest & dividends statements from banks (forms 1099)
- Total paid to daycare & daycare’s Tax ID# (providers Social Security # or business employer ID#)
- Forms 1095-A, B, or C for Health Insurance
- For sole proprietors/independent contractors, you did not have a business loss, no employees & your business expenses were less than $10,000. Please bring a summary sheet of your gross income and an itemized list of any expenses.
- Receipts for up to $300 in cash donations to charity
- Copy of 2019 federal & state returns, if available
- For faster returns: Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- Education: Education Credits (1098-T) 2018 statement of account from an educational institution
- Student loan interest deduction (1098-E)
IF YOU DON’T QUALIFY FOR EITC, but your Adjusted Gross Income is less than $66,000, you can prepare your own federal and NYS income tax returns for free by visiting the link below. The IRS will begin accepting tax returns starting February.
Volunteers are still needed to help prepare tax returns. For more information, contact Project Manager Ralph Lyke at 315.634.3756 or firstname.lastname@example.org.