At our Department of Energy and Housing Services, we have been successfully operating New York State’s Weatherization Assistance Program in Onondaga County for more than 25 years. This program offers a grant to provide energy conservation measures for income-eligible homeowners and renters.
Energy and Housing Department
811 East Washington Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Our New York State Energy Smart Programs include:
- The Weatherization Assistance Program
- EmPower New York
- The Multi-Family Performance Program
We are proud to be a part of this energy conservation effort, and we are pleased to have the opportunity to offer the community our expertise in energy reduction programs and our commitment to a healthy environment.
Weatherization Assistance Program
The Weatherization Assistance Program helps lower energy costs for income-eligible households.
- helps reduce energy costs;
- conserves energy;
- increases comfort in the home;
- improves safety and health standards;
- preserves housing; and
- provides jobs.
How does the program work?
- An application is submitted to the local service provider to determine program eligibility;
- An energy audit of the home is conducted to identify needs;
- The home is weatherized; and
- Home is inspected to assure quality of work completed.
What services are included?
Services include but are not limited to:
- sealing of cracks and holes to reduce heat loss;
- insulation of attics and walls;
- heating system repairs or replacement;
- providing efficient lighting and refrigeration;
- window and/or outside door repair or replacement;
- minor repairs which are needed to ensure maximum efficiency of the weatherization services performed; and
- mitigation of energy-related health and safety issues.
Who does the work?
Program services are delivered through NYS Homes and Community Renewal’s (HCR) statewide network of local service providers who may use their own licensed crews or hire local private contractors to perform the work.
What is the quality of the materials used?
HCR requires providers to purchase and use materials that meet state and federal government standards. HCR offers providers training in quality control and material use.
Is there a charge for weatherization services?
All services are provided without cost to the occupant of the home.
However, owners of rental buildings must invest funds toward the cost of weatherization services performed on their property.
Who is eligible for weatherization services?
Eligibility is based on household income relative to federal low-income guidelines. If a household contains a member who receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Public Assistance, Food Stamps, or Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) benefits, the household is considered automatically eligible for weatherization services.
Are renters eligible for services?
Yes. Applications are accepted from renters, homeowners, and rental property owners.
What type of home is eligible?
A manufactured or single-family home, an apartment building, and a single room occupied as separate living quarters are all eligible.
Can the weatherization assistance program help me find other sources of energy aid?
Yes. Local providers are knowledgeable in the assistance programs from NYSERDA, the Office for Temporary and Disability Assistance, and gas and electric utility companies. Weatherization staff may help you apply for grants or loans from these agencies and others.
Who funds the weatherization program?
HCR’s Weatherization Assistance Program is funded by the US Department of Energy. In addition, HCR receives funds for Weatherization activities from the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services through the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance.
How can I apply?
811 East Washington Street, Syracuse, NY 13210
Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Phone: (315) 470-3315
Email: email@example.com new email