Free Tax Prep Program
PEACE, Inc. Free Tax Prep offers FREE income tax preparation for those with a household income of $60,000 or less.
By free, we mean 100% FREE!
NO tax preparation fees, NO hidden fees
Call us at: 315.634.3756
Interested in Becoming a Volunteer?
Do You Qualify for Free Tax Preparation?
- Your total household income is under $60,000
- Your investment income is less than $3,500
- You reside in Onondaga County and
- You had income from wages self-employment, pension, or government benefits
- You did not own rental property
- You did not declare bankruptcy
- You did not receive military pay
- If you are self-employed, you did, not have employees or inventory, you did not deduct your home as an expense, and you did not have a business loss
To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
What to Bring to a Tax Appointment?
- Picture ID for you (and your spouse if filing jointly)
- Social Security Cards, Social Security Number verification letters, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letters for you, your spouse, and any dependents
- Birthdates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
- For faster returns: Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a voided check or a letter from the bank knowledge of it is a checking or saving account
- 2021 tax return, if you have it
Bring all documents that apply.
- W-2 form(s) for all jobs last year
- 1099-NEC and/or 1099-K
- Records of income not reported on 1099 forms
- Records of expenses including receipts, credit statements totaled.
- Record of estimated tax payments
- Mileage your traveled for work, commute and personal
- SSA-1099 form for Social Security benefits
- 1099-R for pension/IRA/annuity income
- 1099-G for unemployment benefits
Other sources of income
- 1099-G for refund of state/local income taxes
- 1098-T for scholarships/fellowships for you or your dependents
- 1099-R for disability income
- Income or loss from the sale of stocks, bonds, or real estate
- Alimony received
- Statements for prizes or lottery/gambling winnings
- Interest and dividend statements from banks
- Records for any other income
You may be able to claim tax deductions for some of the expenses you have. These deductions reduce the income you are taxed on. Bring documentation for all of the following expenses you have.
- Retirement contributions, including a 401(k) or IRA
- State and local taxes you’ve paid
- Mortgage statements and property tax bills if you are a homeowner
- College tuition (1098-T) and student loan statements (Form 1098-E)
- Childcare expenses, including payment records or receipts and provider’s name, address, and federal tax ID number (either their Social Security Number or Employment Identification Number)
- Receipts for charitable donations paid by cash or check
- Medical and dental paid bills
- Records for supplies used as an educator
Other Tax Documents or Notices
- Form 1095-A if you had coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace
- Anything that says “IMPORTANT TAX DOCUMENT”
Get Refund Status
What You Will Need
- Tax year
- Social security number or ITIN
- Your filing status
- Your exact refund amount
- For State only: Form you filed – Choose IT-201
For your Federal Refund Status Visit: https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp
For your State Refund Status Visit: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/refund.htm
File your taxes for free yourself
Earned less than $73,000?
File for free at myfreetaxes.com
PEACE, Inc. Free Tax Prep
1201 E Fayette St, Suite 22
Syracuse, NY 13210
Call Box Keypad: #022
Tax Appointment: 315.634.3756
Centro Bus Stops
Walnut Avenue Side:
Bus Stop #347 to Centro Hub
Bus Stop #350 from Centro Hub
Pine Street Side:
Bus Stop #354 From Centro Hub
Bus Stop #355 to Centro Hub
Two ways to prepare your taxes:
Fill up the form and we’ll get in touch as soon as we can.
We partner with trusted organizations
PEACE, Inc. is a VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) site and a member of the CNY CA$H Coalition. VITA sites provide free preparation from tax-law certified volunteers for anyone with a household income of less than $60,000 per year.