Free Tax Prep Program

PEACE, Inc. Free Tax Prep Program and CNY CA$H Coalition offers FREE Federal and NYS income tax preparation to income eligible individuals* to our Central New York neighbors.

By free, we mean 100% FREE!

NO tax preparation fees,
NO hidden fees, and
NO one trying to sell you other products or services.

This year we will be providing three different filing models:

  • Contactless In-Person, with volunteers working onsite alongside other volunteers to file returns dropped off in advance by clients.
  • Social Distanced In-Person, with volunteers working onsite alongside other volunteers to file returns dropped off same-day by clients.
  • Virtual Tax Filing, with volunteers working remotely from their personal computers to help individuals file returns virtually.

NOTE: Volunteers *must* present proof of vaccination for in-person volunteer shifts.

Tax Prep picture

Office Address:
1201 E Fayette St, Suite 22
Syracuse, NY 13210
Phone: 315.634.3756

Hours of Service:
Tuesdays and Saturdays: 9am -5pm
Wednesdays and Thursdays: 12pm – 7pm

Interested in Becoming a Tax-Aide Volunteer?

Do You Qualify for Free Tax Preparation?
  • Your total household income is under $60,000
  • Your investment income is less than $3,500
  • You reside in Onondaga County and
  • You had income from wages self-employment, pension, or government benefits
  • You did not own rental property
  • You did not declare bankruptcy
  • You did not receive military pay
  • If you are self-employed, you did, not have employees or inventory, you did not deduct your home as an expense, and you did not have a business loss

To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

What to Bring to a Tax Appointment?

Personal documents

    • Picture ID for you (and your spouse if filing jointly)
    • Social Security Cards, Social Security Number verification letters, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number assignment letters for you, your spouse, and any dependents
    • Birthdates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return
    • For faster returns: Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a 
      voided check.
    • 2019 and 2020 tax return, if you have them

Bring all documents that apply.

Employment Income

    • W-2 form(s) for all jobs last year (your employer(s) will have sent you this by January 31st)

Self-Employment Income

    • 1099-NEC and/or 1099-K
    • Records of income not reported on 1099 forms
    • Records of expenses including receipts, credit statements, etc.
    • Record of estimated tax payments

Retirement Income

    • SSA-1099 form for Social Security benefits
    • 1099-R for pension/IRA/annuity income

Unemployment Income

    • 1099-G for unemployment benefits

Other sources of income

    • 1099-G for refund of state/local income taxes
    • 1098-T for scholarships/fellowships
    • 1099-R for disability income
    • Income or loss from the sale of stocks, bonds, or real estate
    • Income or loss from rental property
    • Alimony received
    • Statements for prizes or lottery/gambling winnings
    • Interest and dividend statements from banks
    • Records for any other income


You may be able to claim tax deductions for some of the expenses you have. These deductions reduce the income you are taxed on. Bring documentation for all of the following expenses you have.

    • Retirement contributions, including a 401(k) or IRA
    • State and local taxes you’ve paid
    • Mortgage statements and property tax bills if you are a homeowner
    • College tuition (1098-T) and student loan statements (Form 1098-E)
    • Childcare expenses, including payment records or receipts and provider’s name, address, and federal tax ID number (either their Social Security Number or Employment Identification Number)
    • Receipts for charitable donations
    • Medical and dental bills
    • Records for supplies used as an educator

Other Tax Documents or Notices

    • IRS Notice 1444, 1444-B, and/or 1444-C for your Economic Impact Payments (also known as stimulus checks)
    • IRS Letter 6419 for your Child Tax Credit advance payments
    • Form 1095-Aif you had coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace
    • Documents from the IRS, Health Insurance Marketplace, your state tax agency, or anything that says “IMPORTANT TAX DOCUMENT”
Do you qualify for the $3,600 Child Tax Credit?

The American Rescue Plan expanded the Child Tax Credit program to help you support your children through the pandemic. Read below to learn more about eligibility and how you can receive your cash payments.

Is my child eligible?

To be eligible, children must:

    • Have a Social Security Number.
    • Live with you for at least half of the year.
    • Be under age 18 as of December 31, 2021.

How much money can my family get?
$3,600 ($300 a month) per child for children ages 0-5.
$3,000 ($250 a month) per child for children ages 6-17.

How will the payments work?
Most families can start receiving $250 – $300 a month per child from July through December 2021. Families will get the remaining $1,500 – $1,800 per child when they file their 2021 taxes in Spring 2022. The Child Tax Credit will NOT affect your Medicaid, SNAP/Food Stamps, TANF Cash Assistance, SSI or other public benefits.

How do I get the credit?
You will automatically receive Child Tax Credit payments if you filed your 2019 or 2020 taxes and claimed your children, or if you used the non-filer tool to claim Economic Impact Payments and claimed your children.

What if I don’t usually file taxes?
You do not need to have any earnings to get the credit. Families qualify for a full credit if their income is below $75,000 for single filers, $112,000 for people filing as head of household, or $150,000 for people who are married and filing jointly.

Get Refund Status (
What You Will Need

  • Social security number or ITIN
  • Your filing status
  • Your exact refund amount

Visit: Get Refund Status

Contact Us

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

We partner with trusted organizations