RESPONSIBLE TO: TRANSPORTATION SUPV./SITE SUPV.
PAY GRADE: 7/NON-EXEMPT
NUMBER OF PROGRAM WEEKS: 42 WEEKS PER YEAR
- Must possess a clean, current New York State CDL-C/P or B/P driver license. School bus endorsement very helpful.
- Must have a clean driving record for the prior 18 months, with zero (0) points charged. Also not more than one (1) motor vehicle accident within three (3) years.
- Have the interest and ability to interact with adults, pre-school children and their families both on the bus and in the center.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. required.
1. Provide safe transportation of enrolled children between their homes and program sites.
- Pick up and drop off children at designated places.
- Ensure that all children are safely secured in weight and height appropriate safety child restraints prior to driving off.
- Ensure that children are picked up at bus site by authorized adult.
- Ensure that children safely load and unload the bus.
- Walk bus, check all seats to ensure that all children have safely exited the bus and turn sign at the end of each route.
2. Provide training for bus monitors on procedures as per federal, state and local requirements.
3. Supervise bus monitors and all individuals on the bus.
4. Implement all Transportation Department safety standards as well as Head Start bus policies.
5. Follow daily transportation procedures to ensure that the bus is checked daily upon departure and return.
6. Keep an updated transportation route list, seating charts, emergency parent contact sheets, and trained bus monitor list, on the bus at all times.
7. Perform bus evacuation drills three times per year, as required by Head Start regulations.
8. Inform Site Supervisor or designee of any unusual situations on the bus or in the homes.
9. Keep both the Transportation Supervisor and Site Supervisor, or their designees, informed of deviations from bus driver work schedules, according to posted procedures.
10. Provide safe transportation for classroom field trips as availability allows.
11. Participate in all required trainings and staff meetings at sites and at transportation.
12. Maintain confidentiality of all information.
13. Keep bus washed and sanitized.
14. Adhere to relevant health and safety policies and procedures.
15. Perform all other duties as requested.